Research and consultant activity within the Department is directed towards topics where substantial staff expertise is available and strong industrial links have been developed.
Core fields of Civil Engineering research includes:
- Pavement Research – Hydrated Cement Treated Crushed Rock Base (HCTCRB), cement modified crushed rock base, unbound granular/ aggregate course and stabilisation
- Geotechnical engineering – Geomechanics computer methods/soil stabilisation modelling
- Water (environmental) Engineering Research Group – Water/wastewater quality science, recycling membrane tech, storm/ground water management/modelling, sustainable water systems
- Structures monitoring and protection – Earthquake Engineering, Blast Impact Engineering, Structural dynamics/health monitoring
- Concrete technology – Structural integrity, by-product design utilisation, geopolymer concrete
- Sustainable engineering – Monitoring health of existing infrastructure and extending life infrastructure through rehabilitation and retrofitting, Bio-activated materials/ Nanotechnology (nano-cement).
Visit the Sustainable Engineering Group website.
- Engineering infrastructure management and construction – Construction/Infrastructure Economics, procurement, risk/asset- management, LCCA/LCA, demobilisation, construction/project management