Skip to main content

Student exchange and study abroad

Don’t wait until you graduate, there is a whole world out there waiting for you now! Student Exchange adds an international dimension to your degree by giving you the opportunity to study at one of our many partner institutions.

Most programs are offered in English, however, some non-English speaking countries may only offer a small range of subjects in English. An exchange to a non-English speaking university is a great opportunity to learn a new language. All units of study taken on exchange MUST be for credit, so essentially you are taking your Curtin semester at another university.

Why undertake Student Exchange?

  • Gain credit towards your degree
  • Build your resume
  • Develop self-awareness and a new perspective
  • Understand a different culture
  • Establish international networks and friends
  • Explore job opportunities outside Australia
  • Travel while you study

Where can I go?

You can choose to study at a university at one of our overseas partners in Asia, Canada, Europe, China, Japan, United Kingdom and the United States of America.

Some of the key partners for Science and Engineering programs are listed below but there are many partners you can consider for student exchange and study abroad:

University of Calgary Canada
Ecole Centrale Lyon France
Fachhochschule Aachen Germany
Technische Universität Darmstadt Germany
Technische Universität Munchen Germany
Indian Institute of Technology Madras India
Hokkaido Univeristy Japan
Hyogo University Japan
Nagaoka University Japan
Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology Sri Lanka
Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) Sweden
Delft University of Technology The Netherlands
Colorado School of Mines USA
Texas A&M USA

How do I apply?

To apply or find out more about the exchange partners, visit Apply for student exchange.

China group

Study Abroad

Students who wish to complete a semester abroad at an institution that Curtin does not have a partnership with, can complete a semester of Study Abroad. Credit can still be awarded for the semester abroad provided students complete the unit approval forms prior to completing the studies at the host institution. Curtin students should take a Leave of Absence from their degree studies for the semester abroad.

For more information, students should contact the Study Abroad team via

Short-term programs

The Faculty of Science and Engineering run short term mobility programs throughout the year to enable enrolled students to visit our partner universities or complete an international internship program and experience the culture of another country.

Program durations vary in length from two to 12 weeks. Students can join the mailing list if they wish to be notified of new programs as they become available. Join the mailing list.

Participating in a short-term program is great way to experience a different culture and language, and to build personal and professional networks internationally, all while gaining credit towards your Curtin degree.

View student travel photos from past programs.